Sunday, January 30, 2011

First Essay!

For our first essay, the text that I will be performing a rhetorical analysis of is an excerpt article from our book, called "Bottlemania: How Water Went on Sale and Why We Bought It."

I chose this text because, first, the title drew me in. I think it's absolutely crazy what people pay for bottled water (not to mention the environmental effects) when they could just as easily drink tap water. I was interested to see what the author had to say about it. Also, the article is a little longer than most of the excerpts in our book, so I figured that I would have more to write about with more to refer to.

I have come to the conclusion that the article is an argument to convince. I debated between this and persuade, but ultimately I think that putting it in the persuasion category would be a bit too extreme. The author is simply trying to convince the audience that tap water is currently just as safe (if not more so) than bottled water.

This being said, I think the author does a good job of achieving her goal. She cites facts from leading experts in the field, appeals to the readers emotions, and uses specific examples from her life (getting her own tap water tested, ect..)

I can't wait to write the essay and get a chance to elaborate on all of these things! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment