Thursday, February 24, 2011

Define...

For our third essay, we are exploring defintions. The prompt requires us to define on a concept whose definition is under debate in today's society.

I'm still kind of deciding what to define, but I think I'm leaning towards "torture." I know that there's usually alot of controversy about this in the media (there especially seemed to be during the Bush presidency), and I am personally appalled that this is something that even has to be debated.

I would really like to be able to write this paper and nail down a consensus of what experts in the field currently define as "torture." I know that there is probably a big gap between what different people (politicians vs humanitarians) would classify as such, and even between people's opinions and actual legal guidlines.

Like I said, I'm not one hundred percent sure about this topic yet. I tend to be a softie, and if it gets graphic (as it very well may), I'm not sure I'll be able to stick with it. BUT, if I do, I think it will definitly be an interesting topic.

No comments:

Post a Comment